Hemmerling is a PBIS School!
Hemmerling's PBIS program was recognized at the Silver level by the California PBIS Coalition (2019).
What is PBIS?
Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) is an implementation framework for maximizing the selection and use of evidence-based prevention and intervention practices along a multi-tiered continuum that supports the academic, social, emotional, and behavioral competence of all students.
PBIS implementation involves explicitly prompting, modeling, practicing, and encouraging positive expected social skills across settings and individuals. When students are taught to effectively use relevant expected social skills for themselves and with others, school climates are more positive, learning environments are safer, and student-educator relationships are more trusting and respectful.
What do students and educators gain in PBIS schools?
All students develop and learn social, emotional, and behavioral competence, supporting their academic engagement. All educators develop positive, predictable, and safe environments that promote strong interpersonal relationships with students through teaching, modeling, and encouragement.
What are the benefits of implementing PBIS in schools?
- Reductions in major disciplinary infractions, antisocial behavior, and substance abuse
- Reductions in aggressive behavior and improvements in emotional regulation
- Improvements in academic engagement and achievement
- Improvements in perceptions of organizational health and school safety
- Reductions in teacher and student reported bullying behavior and victimization
- Improvements in perceptions of school climate
- Reductions in teacher turnover
Learn more about PBIS at www.pbis.org.